Finance, student visa and other important information

Here are some important information:

  1. Finance and sufficient funds
  2. Scholarships
  3. Apply for housing
  4. Insurance
  5. Medical testing
  6. Information regarding laptops and software for masterstudents at campus Porsgrunn.


Sufficient funds

International students must document their ability to finance their stay in Norway in order to be granted a residence permit for study purposes.

The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration requires that citizens of countries outside the EU/EEA-area and Switzerland can provide documentation of financial ability, i.e. a minimum amount of money required to cover living expenses for one academic year in Norway.

If you are from outside EU/EEA and admitted to a program, you need a visa/study permit. To acquire a student visa you must make a deposit of 116 369 NOK (2018 figure) in order to acquire a study permit. 

USN generally does not charge any tuition fees, but all students must pay a semester registration fee of up to 1000 NOK (110 Euros). Please note, however, that other rules may apply for joint programmes and programmes offered in cooperation with other institutions.

For more information regarding your VISA application please use the UDI's checklist.


There are no scholarships available for students on full bachelor's degree programmes or full master's degree programmes.


All campuses provide housing for international students. Our accommodation services are run by the Student Welfare Foundation in Southeast Norway (SSN). More information can be found here:


We recommend you to have at least a travel insurance. EU/EEA citizens should bring with them the European Health card. More information:

Medical testing for degrees with teaching or clinical practice

Students who have spent more than three months of the last three years in countries outside of Western Europe, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or Japan must test themselves for communicable tuberculosis. The results of the examination must be negative when you start your degree. More information can be found in the Regulations on Tuberculosis Control.