If you are a full degree student at USN, you are normally a member of Folketrygden. You are a member if you are entitled to benefits from Lånekassen. You must also have a travel insurance that covers the necessary conditions before you go on a study stay abroad.

The insurance should cover:

  • The entire period you are abroad. You normally have to have an extra insurance if you are staying abroad for more than 90 days. Please check with your insurance company. 

  • Accidents, contents and travel

  • Expenses for hospital stays

  • Expenses for home transport in the event of serious injury / death

  • Liability insurance if you are doing an internship

  • Remember extra insurance if you will be renting a car 


All students from EU/EEA countries should have health insurance from their home country. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) documents that you are entitled to medical treatment during your stay in EEA countries and Switzerland. It does not include dental care or prescription drugs.