- Is in the forefront of knowledge within his/her academic field and masters the field's philosophy of science.
- Can evaluate the expediency and application of different methods and processes in research and development (R&D) projects.
- Can contribute to the development of new knowledge, theories, methods, interpretations and forms of documentation within science and research.
- Can formulate problems, plan and carry out R&D work within the field at high international standard.
- Can handle complex academic issues and challenge established knowledge and practice in the field of study.
- Can identify new relevant ethical issues and carry out research with scholarly integrity.
- Can manage complex interdisciplinary scientific assignments.
- Can communicate research and development work through recognized national and international channels.
- Can participate in professional debates in the field in national and international forums.
- Can assess the need for and initiate innovation.