One of the following criteria must be met:
- Qualification in Norwegian or Norwegian as a second language at level 3 (393 hours) from a Norwegian upper secondary school
- Test in Norwegian - higher level, written (Bergenstesten), with minimum grade "Pass" or 450 points
- Final test in Norwegian for adult immigrants (norskprøven) with a minimum level of B2 on all test parts.
- Examination from Level 3 in Norwegian for foreign students at universities
- Completed and passed course of study in higher education with at least 60 credits in Norwegian language and social studies for foreign students.
You may also meet the requirement for Norwegian if you have attended 9- or 10-year Norwegian elementary school and have a school-leaving certificate.
The requirement for Norwegian language proficiency does not apply to studies which are fully taught and implemented in English.
Additional requirements to Norwegian for teacher training and the programme in educational theory and practice
It is particularly important to be good in Norwegian if you want to be a teacher. For admission to our teacher training courses, you must meet one of the following criteria:
- Qualification in Norwegian or Norwegian as a second language at Level 3 (393 hours) from a Norwegian upper secondary school with an average grade of at least 3 (average of all grades in Norwegian).
- Pass in Test in Norwegian-higher level, written
- Examination from Level 3 in Norwegian for foreign students at universities with grade C/3.0 or better.
- Completed and passed a course of study in higher education with at least 60 credits in Norwegian language and social studies for foreign students with grade C/3.0 or better.
- Test in Norwegian for adult immigrants from Vox with B2 in all four part- examinations
All applicants with foreign education must meet the requirement for English on the GSU-list according to Regulation on admission to higher education section 2-2 .
There are more stringent requirements for English-language master studies. These require the following:
- Pass in English from a Norwegian Upper Secondary School (140 hours), with at least Grade 3, alternatively English programme subjects (140 hours)
- British Council International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) – minimum total score of 6.0 (academic test). The test must not be more than two years old.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - minimum score of 550 (paper based), 231 (PC-based) or 80 (internet based). The test must not be more than two years old.
- Have completed a bachelor's degree in an English-speaking country (Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, UK or USA)
- PTE Academic Pearson Test of English - minimum total score of 56.
- Completed higher degree study in English language or literature