- Leder/medarbeider/veileder i flere forskningsprosjekter - se CV
- Emneansvarlig for 3 ulike emner i master i klinisk helsearbeid - se CV
- Underviser innen en rekke ulike tema
- Leder for forskningsgruppen HSN EldreForsk
- Forskning innen allergologi, neuroimmunologi, hjerneslag, fatigue, depresjon, autisme og demens
- Dr. scient. (PhD Sc.), Department of Biosciences, University of Oslo (UiO). Practical part undertaken at the Department of Environmental Medicine, Norwegian Institute of Public Health.
- Cand. scient. (M.Sc. by research/second degree level) Department of Biosciences, UiO.
- Cand. mag. (B.Sc./first degree level) Faculty of Mathem. and Natural Sciences, UiO.
- “Examen Artium” (A-levels) Jessheim Upper Secondary School. Spec. in sciences.
- Professor, Faculty of Health and Social Sciences, University College of Southeast Norway.
- Researcher at the Department of Health and Society, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo (50% FTE)
- Research Director (Forskningssjef), Vestre Viken Hospital Trust.
- Associate Professor, Department of Health Sciences, Buskerud University College. Currently 50% FTE.
- Research Director (Forskningssjef), Ringerike Hospital.
- Self-employment, H. Ormstad Consult
- Chief Scientific Adviser, Dermanor as and Dermoapo as.
- Postdoctoral scholar at the Department of Environmental Medicine, Norwegian Institute of Public Health.
- PhD scholar at the Department of Environmental Medicine, Norwegian Institute of Public Health.
- Senior Engineer, Department of Dentistry, University of Oslo.
- Part-time employment as bioengineer at the central laboratory of Aker Hospital.
- Nursing Assistant at Ensjøhjemmet Nursing Home.
1998 Voksentoppen’s research award for paediatric allergology and pulmonary medicine.
Participation on research projects – role
- CROSS in community health care. PhD project, Co-supervisor. Funded by the Norway Health Authority.
- Cytokine pattern and activation of the TRYCATs pathway in autistic spectrum disorders. PhD project. Project leader and Supervisor.
- GEMIDEM (Genes and environmental factors in dementia); Project collaborator.
- Maternal infection and obstetric complications in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia: A follow-up of the MoBa study; Project collaborator.
- KROSS: Competence enhancement in the field of rehabilitation related to vision and stroke. Project collaborator. Funded by the Directorate of Health.
- Activation of the kynurenine pathway in the acute phase of stroke, and its role in depression and fatigue following stroke; Project director. Funded by Vestre Viken Hospital Trust.
- The Nature and Patterns of Fatigue in Post-stroke Patients: A prospective, longitudinal, qualitative stud; Project collaborator. Funded by the Research Council of Norway.
- Can Immunological Variables Predict Treatment Outcome in Depressed Outpatients. PhD project, Co-supervisor. Funded by South-Eastern Norway Reg. Health Authority.
- Post-stroke fatigue: Characteristics, related experiences, and patho-physiological mechanisms in a longitudinal perspective; Leader of sub-project: Patho-physiological mechanisms of post-stroke fatigue. Funded by the Research Council of Norway.
- The adjuvant effect of particles on the production of allergen specific IgE – cells and mechanisms, PhD project, Co-supervisor. Funded by the Research Council of Norway.
- Dust particles in the indoor environment as a cause of allergies. Post-doctoral scholarship. Funded by the Research Council of Norway.
- Suspended particulate matter – characterization and effect on the allergic immune response. PhD scholarship. Funded by the Research Council of Norway.
Supervisory experience (excluded Masters degree)
- Co-supervisor for Torgeir Mathisen, Master in Nursing science and PhD. Faculty of Health and Social Sciences, University College of Southeast Norway. Title: “CROSS in community health care.”.
- Supervisor for Vesna Bryn, Pediatrician and PhD. Innlandet Hospital Trust .Title: Cytokine pattern and activation of the TRYCATs pathway in autistic spectrum disorders.
- Co-supervisor for Johan Dahl, psychiatrist and PhD student. Project: NORMOOD, Vestre Viken Hosp.Trust. Title: Can Immunological Variables Predict Treatment Outcome in Depressed Outpatients.
- Supervisor for project assignments in “Research methods and philosophy of science” (15 ECTS) for employees of Southern Norway Regional Health Authority, collaboration between Buskerud University College and Buskerud Hospital Trust.
- Co-supervisor for Unni Nygaard, PhD student, Norwegian Institute of Public Health. Title: The adjuvant effect of particles on the production of allergen specific IgE – cells and mechanisms
Peer work for journals and reports
- Articles in Brain, Behavior, and Immunity
- Articles in Psychoneuroendocrinology
- Article in the Journal of Translational Medicine
- Article in The International Journal of Neuroscience
- Report by The Norwegian Knowledge Centre for the Health Services: The enterprise project: Towards evidence-based practices in the specialist health services.
- Report by The Norwegian Knowledge Centre for the Health Services: Effects of multidisciplinary ambulant services for patients with chronic diseases.
- Articles in the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health,
- Articles in the Journal of the Norwegian Medical Association
Membership on committees for assessment of research applications
- Assessment of applications for internal research funding at Vestre Viken Hospital Trust.
- Assessment of applications for internal research funding at Ringerike Hospital.
COURSE RESPONSIBILITY ( USN = University College of Southeast Norway)
- Course responsibility for Master’s degree students on the course “Planning a research project - Research protocol writing”, USN
- Course responsibility for Master’s degree students on the course “Geriatric assessment”, USN
- Course responsibility for Master’s degree students on the course “Health-promoting and person oriented perspectives on old age”, USN
Course responsibility, including all teaching of anatomy, physiology and biochemistry for Bachelor’s degree students of nursing, USN.
PARTICIPATION ON COMMITTEES AND COMMISSIONS
- Deputy Chairperson of the Regional Committee for Medical & Health Research Ethics of South East Norway, Section D.
- Member of the governing body for the PhD programme at Faculty of Health Sciences, Buskerud and Vestfold University College.
- Member of a working group appointed by the Regional Research Committee for South-Eastern Norway Regional Health Authority regarding the composition of application categories for announcement of research funding for 2013.
- Member of the expert panel of the Norwegian Board of Health Supervision for risk areas in health research.
- Deputy Representative on the cooperation committee for South-Eastern Norway Regional Health Authority and the University of Oslo.
- Member of the working committee for the Regional Research Commission for South-Eastern Norway Regional Health Authority.
- Member of the governing body for Arena Helseinnovasjon.
- Member of the administrative information network for South-Eastern Norway Regional Health Authority
- Member of the Regional Research Commission for South-Eastern Norway Regional Health Authority (two periods)
- Member of the management group for Hallingforsk.
- Member of the Administrative Research Network for South-Eastern Norway Regional Health Authority
- Ormstad H, Bryn V, Verkerk R, Skjeldal O.H, Halvorsen B, Saugstad O.D, Isaksen J and Maes M. (2018) Serum tryptophan, tryptophan catabolites and brain-derived neurotrophic factor in subgroups of youngsters with autism spectrum disorders. Submitted
- Ormstad H, Bryn V, Saugstad O. D, Skjeldal O.H, Maes M. (2018) The role of the immune system in Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Submitted.
- Bryn V, Verkerk R, Skjeldal O.H, Saugstad, O. D., Ormstad H. (2017) Kynurenine pathway in autism spectrum disorder in children. Submitted.
- Doncker W, Dantzer R, Ormstad H, Kuppuswamy A. (2017) Mechanisms of post-stroke fatigue. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry Sep 22. pii: jnnp-2017-316007. doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2017-316007.
- Moen K, Ormstad H, Wang-Hansen MS, Brovold, T. (2017) Physical function of elderly patients with multimorbidity upon acute hospital admission versus 3 weeks post-discharge. Disabil Rehabil. Mar 8:1-8. doi: 10.1080/09638288.2017.1294211. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kanchanatawan B, Sirivichayakul S, Ruxrungtham K, Carvalho AF, Geffard M, Ormstad H, Anderson G, Maes M. (2017). Deficit, but Not Nondeficit, Schizophrenia Is Characterized by Mucosa-Associated Activation of the Tryptophan Catabolite (TRYCAT) Pathway with Highly Specific Increases in IgA Responses Directed to Picolinic, Xanthurenic, and Quinolinic Acid. Mol Neurobiol. Feb 8. doi: 10.1007/s12035-017-0417-6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bryn V, Aass H.C, Skjeldal O.H., Isaksen J., Saugstad O.D., Ormstad H (2016). Cytokine profile in autism spectrum disorder in children. J Mol Neurosci. 61(1):1-7. (Level 1, IF 2.89).
- Ormstad H, Dahl J, Verkerk R, Andreassen O, Maes M (2016) Increased plasma levels of competing amino acids are associated with a non-response to treatment in major depression. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 26(8):1286-96. (Level 1, IF 4.83)
- Ormstad H, Verkerk R, Sandvik L (2016) Serum Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, and their Ratio in Acute Ischemic Stroke: on the Trail of a Biomarker? J Mol Neurosci. 58:102-108 (Level 1, IF 2.89).
- Dahl J, Ormstad H, Aass HC, Sandvik L, Malt UF, Andreassen OA. (2016) Recovery from major depressive disorder episode after non-pharmacological treatment is associated with normalized cytokine levels. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2016;134(1):40-7. (Level 2, IF 6.79).
- Ormstad H, Eilertsen G (2015) A biopsychosocial model of fatigue and depression following stroke. Med Hypotheses 85:835-841. (Level 1, 5 year IF 1.07).
- Dahl J, Verkerk R Malt U, Sandvik L, Andreassen O, Brundin L and Ormstad H (2015) Ongoing episode of Major Depressive Disorder is not associated with elevated plasma levels of kynurenine pathway markers. Psychoneuroendocrinology 56:12-22. (Level 2, 5 year IF 5.66)
- Eilertsen G, Olsson M, Ormstad H, Siv Söderberg, Mengshoel A, Kirkevold M (2015). Similarities and Differences in Perception of Fatigue among Persons living with Fibromyalgia, Multiple Sclerosis, Ankylosing Spondylitis and Stroke. Submitted to Journal of Clinical Nursing. epub ahead of print (Level 2, IF 1.30)
- Ormstad H, Rosness TA, Bergem ALM, Bjertness E and Strand BH and the GENIDEM-group (2014) Alcohol consumption in the elderly and risk of dementia related death - A Norwegian prospective study with a 19-year follow-up. The International Journal of Neuroscience. epub ahead of print (Level 1, IF 1.53)
- Strand BH, Langballe EM, Tor A Rosness TA, Bergem ALM, Engedal K, Nafstad P, Tell GS, Ormstad H, Tambs K, Bjertness E and the GENIDEM-group (2014) Age, education and dementia death risk. Journal of the Neurological Sciences 15;345:75-82 (Level 1, IF 2.41)
- Ormstad H, Vekerk R, Amthor K-F and Sandvik L. (2014) Activation of the kynurenine pathway in the acute phase of stroke, and its role in depression and fatigue following stroke. Journal of Molecular Neuroscience 54:181-7 (Level 1, IF 2.89)
- Dahl J, Ormstad H, Aass H.C, Malt U, Sandvik L and Andreassen O. (2014) The plasma levels of various cytokines are increased during ongoing depression and are reduced to normal levels after recovery. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2014;45:77-86. (Level 2, 5 year IF 5.66)
- Ormstad H, Verkerk R, Aass HC, Amthor KF, Sandvik L. (2013) Inflammation-Induced Catabolism of Tryptophan and Tyrosine in Acute Ischemic Stroke. J Mol Neurosci. 2013 Aug 30. [Epub ahead of print] (Level 1, IF 2.89)
- Eilertsen G, Ormstad H, Kirkevold M (2013) A meta-synthesis of qualitative studies of fatigue following stroke. Journal of Advanced Nursing. (Level 2, IF 1.54)
- Ormstad H, Aass HC, Amthor KF, Lund-Sørensen N, Sandvik L (2012) Serum levels of cytokines, glucose, and hemoglobin as possible predictors of poststroke depression, and association with poststroke fatigue. International Journal of Neuroscience Jul 20. [Epub ahead of print] (Level 1, IF 0.86)
- Ormstad H, Aass HCD, Lund-Sørensen N, Amthor K-F, Sandvik L. (2011a) Serum cytokine and glucose levels as predictors of poststroke fatigue in acute ischemic stroke patients. J Neurol 258:670-6. (Level 2, IF 3.47)
- Ormstad H, Aass HCD, Lund-Sørensen N, Amthor K-F, Sandvik L. (2011a) Serum levels of cytokines and C-reactive protein in acute ischemic stroke patients, and their relationship to stroke lateralization, type, and infarct volume. J Neurol 258:677-85.
- Ormstad, H, Amthor, K.F. (2008) Migraine, physiopathology, genetics and treatment aspects. The knowledge situation summarized. Läkartidningen 105; 2098-102.
- Nygaard U, Ormstad, H., Aase, A. and Løvik, M. (2005) The IgE Adjuvant Effect of Particles: Characterization of the Primary Cellular Response in the Local Lymph Node. Toxicology, 15; 206: 181-193.
- Instanes, C., Ormstad, H., Rydjord, B., Wiker, H. and Hetland, G. (2004) Mould extracts increase the allergic response to ovalbumin in mice. Clin Exp Allergy, 34:1634-164
- Ormstad, H., Groeng, E-C, Duffort, O. and Løvik, M. (2003) The effect of endotoxin on the production of IgE, IgG1 and IgG2a antibodies against the cat allergen Fel d 1 in mice. Toxicology 188: 309-318. (Level 2, IF 3.24)
- Ormstad, H. and Løvik, M. (2002) Luftforurensning, astma og allergi – betydningen av ulike partikler. [Air pollution, asthma and allergy – the impact of various particles] Journal of the Norwegian Medical Association 122; 1777-82. (Level 1)
- Ormstad, H. (2001) Svevestøv i innemiljøet og allergi. [Suspended particulate matter in the indoor environment and allergy] Journal of the Norwegian Medical Association. 121:1344-50.
- Ormstad, H. (2000a) Suspended particulate matter in indoor air: Adjuvants and allergen carriers. Toxicology 152;53-68.
- Ormstad, H., Groeng, E-C, Løvik, M and Hetland, G. (2000b) The fungal cell wall component b-1,3-glucan has an adjuvant effect on the allergic response to ovalbumin in mice. J. Toxicol. Environ. Health 61:55-67. (Level 1, IF 1.72)
- Steinsvik, T.E., Ormstad, H., Gaarder, P.I., Aaberge, Bjønnes, U. and Løvik, M. (1998). Human IgE production in hu-PBL-SCID mice injected with birch pollen and diesel exhaust particles. Toxicology 128: 219-230.
- Ormstad, H., Gaarder, P.I., Johansen, B.V. and Løvik, M. (1998a) Airborne house dust elicits a local lymph node reaction and has an adjuvant effect on specific IgE production in the mouse. Toxicology 129: 227-236. (Level 2, IF 3.24)
- Ormstad, H., Johansen, B.V. and Gaarder, P.I. (1998b) Airborne house dust particles and diesel exhaust particles as allergen carriers. Clin. Exp. Allergy 28:702-708.
- Johansen, B.V. and Ormstad, H (1997) Evaporated germanium films as support for micro analysis of carbon and silicon containing specimens. Microsc Res Tech 38: 519-524.
- Ormstad, H., Gaarder, P.I., and Johansen, B.V. (1997) Quantification and characterisation of suspended particulate matter in indoor air. Sci Total Environ 193, no. 3: 185-196. IF 2.91)
- Løchsen T, Ormstad, H, Braud, H., Brodal, B, Christiansen, E and Osmundsen, H. (1997) Effects of fish oil and n-3 fatty acids on the regulation of D9 fatty acid desaturase mRNA and -activity in rat liver. Nutritional Biochemistry 8: 408-413. (Level 1, IF 2.38)
- Ormstad, H., Namork, E., Gaarder, P.I., and Johansen, B.V. (1995) Scanning electron micrography of immunogold labeled antigens (Fel d 1 ) on the surface of airborne house dust particles. J Immunol Methods 187:245-251.
- Heidi Ormstad and Robert Verkerk (2014) Role of kynurenine pathway in stroke. Chapter 17 in Targeting the broadly pathogenic kynurenine pathway. Springer.
- Heidi Ormstad and Bjørn Rishovd Rund (2011). Pre-natal infections – a potential risk factor for schizophrenia. In: Schizofreni. Hertervig Akademisk pp. 333-349.
- Heidi Ormstad and Geir Hetland (2000). Adjuvant effects of b-glucan in a mouse model for allergy. In: Toxicology of beta-glucans. Taylor and Francis, London. pp 127-139.