Our main interests are ultrasound solutions (electronics, materials and sensors) for health care, maritime and oil&gas applications; RF acoustic sensors and resonators including Bulk Acoustic Wave (BAW) resonators, Thin Film Bulk Wave Acoustic Resonators (FBAR) and Surface Acoustic Wave (SAW) sensors; and optical solutions (optics for laser projectors, mobile phone camera lenses, statistical optics phenomenon in coherent imaging, efficient materials for solid-state lighting, semiconductor lasers, devices for extreme high frequency (TeraHertz) applications. We are working closely with industrial companies in our local area. We also have strong collaborations with academic and industrial partners, both domestically and internationally. Our aim is to be a critical competence partner for the industry.
Networks and Partners
- Academic networks: EPFL, Technical University of Mandrid, University of Oslo, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), University of Southern California, KTH.
- Industrial collaborations: Kongsberg Norspace AS, ESA, Sensocure, Unilabs, GE Vingmed Ultrasound, GE Parallel Design AS, Respinor AS, Kongsberg Maritime, Phoenix Solutions, Polight, Projection Design, Barco, Cyviz, ELKEM Silicon Materials.
- CIUS (SFI) – Center for Innovative Ultrasound Solutions – 32 MNOK, 8 PhD students.
- HILASE (BIA)- 11 MNOK, 2 PhD and 1 Postdoc researcher.
- COMPIC- partner with NTNU - 6 MNOK, 2 PhD students.
On-going PhD projects
- PhD candidate Kenneth K Andersen, Multi-band transducers for medical applications – Industrial partner: Phoenix Solutions.
- PhD candidate Marcus Wild, Heat generation in transducers – Industrial partner: Kongsberg Maritime.
- PhD candidate Thong Tuan Huynh, Non-ideal effects in transducers – Industrial partner: GE Vingmed Ultrasound.
- PhD candidate Ngoc Bich Nguyen, Design of High-Q Bulk Acoustic Wave Resonators– Industrial partner: Kongsberg Norspac AS.
- PhD candidate Trinh Bich Hoang, Development of acoustic wave biosensor for glucose monitoring.
- PhD candidate Asmat Nawaz, Development of Perovskite solar cells with morphology engineering and nano-scaffolding.
- PhD candidate Svein Arne, Superimposition enhancements and its evaluation methods in high resolution laser projectors.
- PhD candidate Burak Cunbul, Optical design aspects for high lumen tilt-and-roll digital