Insurance for students coming from the EU/EEA

You can choose to have either private health insurance or coverage by the European Health Insurance Card.

European Health Insurance Card

The European Health Insurance Card entitles you to the same treatment as the citizens of the country where you are staying.

For further information

  • about how to obtain the card, check with the nearest health authority office in your home country.
  • about the European Health Insurance Card, check the European Commission's website.
  • The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance, and it does not cover private healthcare costs, return flights, etc. 

You must bring the European Health Insurance Card when you enter Norway

Private Health Insurance

If you decide to use private health insurance, make sure your insurance covers

  • Norway

  • the entire period of your stay

You must bring documentation of private health insurance covering the entire period of your stay when you enter Norway.

Travel insurance is not valid as coverage for residence purposes. If you only have a travel insurance, you are not able to register with the police.

Additional Insurance

In addition to health insurance, it is the students' own responsibility to check which supplemental insurance, including travel insurance and insurance for personal belongings, is necessary. For further information about additional insurance students should check with an insurance provider in their home country.

Learn more about health insurance in Norway