Semester start January 2021
We are looking forward to welcoming both our new and old students to USN in January. However, due to the current situation with covid-19, we ask you to kindly stay updated on the information given on this site. Especially if you are travelling to Norway from abroad.
For international incoming students:
- Travel: When making your travel arrangements, in regards to the ongoing pandemic and an unpredictable situation, USN recommends that students find flexible and refundable options if available.
- Insurance: USN highly recommends that students consider additional insurance coverage that can specifically cover any consequences of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
Please stay updated at all times on the current rules and restrictions in Norway, especially for incoming travel.
- To find updated and general information on the coronavirus in Norway from The Norwegian Institute of Public Health (NIPH) click here.
- To find information from the Norwegian Government’s webpages on the Corona Virus (for example quarantine hotels, current regulations etc) click here.
- Do you have any specific questions about Covid-19 and arrival to Norway? Please check out the government's Q&A here
- Quarantine hotels: Please note that all foreign citizens without a permanent address/Norwegian social security number in Norway are required to stay in a designated quarantine hotel for the first 10 days of their stay upon arrival. A quarantine hotel will be arranged for you at the border crossing (airport or border control), and is organized by the local community where your border crossing is located. A 10 days quaratine in the hotel is mandatory and required by the national authorities. USN will cover the quarantine costs for all new incoming students (5000 NOK in total). Please keep updated for more information on the practicalities regarding the quarantine and the payment.
The official semester dates for Spring semester 2021 are:
January 7th – June 18th, 2021
- Most study programmes aim to have students physically on campus from Monday, January 18th *This means you have to plan your 10 days quarantine prior to this, so this will be completed at least by this date.
- The different campuses aim to have a possibility to meet someone in person on campus Friday 15 January around 12:00. So please keep this in mind when planning for your arrival. We hope the Covid-19 situation will permit us to meet you and welcome you to USN before that weekend.
* Note: Some of the programmes taught in English might have a later start-up date in the Spring semester. Contact the program administration for information specific to your study programme.
All our studies for exchange and degree students are currently planning to run as normal, however USN is monitoring the situation and this might be subject to change.
We will provide more detailed information about arrival in January 2021 later this month. Students will also be notified directly about significant changes.
More information from USN:
How to find your time schedule
Schedules and startup information for first-year students are published as soon as they are ready. Check in on these pages throughout the summer!
Checklist for new students
Below are the most important tasks you need to take care of before your student life at USN can begin.
Housing and child care
Campus housing services are run by the Student Welfare Foundation in Southeast Norway (SSN). International students must apply before deadline May 1st or October 15th. Please note that there is no housing guarantee for international students for Spring 2021, due to the Covid19-situation.
Read about some of the experiences our international students have during their time in Norway and at USN.