Research on the digital society, e-government, e-participation, and "smart cities". Team leader for the Horizon 2020 ERA-NET Smart-MLA project.
Teaching two modules 2020/2021: Internet-of-Things and Business analytics. Previous modules taught includes .NET programming, mobile applications, e-commerce, public sector innovation, open-source, e-government and e-democracy, mining social media, and information systems security.
International coordinator for the Department of Business, History and Social Sciences.
- Business Analytics
- Mining social media
- Smart cities
- Public sector innovation
- Sensor-based applications
- Internet-of-Things (IoT)
- The digital society
- Mobile services and applications
- Software development (.NET)
- Computer communications
- System development
- Information systems security
2018- Professor, University of South-Eastern Norway
2016-2018 Professor, University College of Southeast Norway
2014-2016 Professor, Buskerud and Vestfold University College
2002-2014 Associate Professor, Vestfold University College
1998-2002 Associate Dean, The Polytechnical College (DPH)
Current R&D projects
- SEAS Preserving the Adriatic Sea Ecosystems by Active Participation of CitizenS (EEA) 2021-2022
- Smart MLA (Multi-Layer Aggregator) (Era-Net Smargrid+) 2019-2021
- Cloud-based analysis and diagnosis platform for photovoltaic (PV) prosumers 2021-2022
- AutoSTRIP (autonomous transport and business models) (Research Council of Norway)
- Post Local (local e-democracy) (Research Council of Norway)
Completed R&D projects
- A Mobile Platform for Environmental Monitoring (EEA-grants) 2016-2017
- Best Practices Exchanges for Internationalization of Higher Education (EEA-grants) 2016-2017
- Understanding and Tackling the Migration Challenge: Mapping Options for a Resilient Approach (EEA-grants) 2016-2017
- URUS - A Human-Centric Method for Urine Sampling from Drug Addicts [Project manager] 2015-2016
- Public Sector Renewal through ICT (EEA-grants) 2014-2016
- DIGIFACT - Digital Factory: Concepts, Implementations, Present and Future Challenges (EEA-grants) 2014-2015
- NET-EUCEN - Citizen-Centric Services (2010-2013)
- eGovMon - Assessing Public Sector Web Sites (2008-2012)
- Evaluation: Collaboration on ICT in Sogn- and Fjordane County [Fylkesmannen i Sogn og Fjordane] 2011
- Consultative - Technology Support for Consultations (EEA) 2008-2010
- eGovMoNet (EU) 2008-2010
- BIBIKT - VIOS-pre project [with VIB and other actors] (NFR) [Project manager] 2006-2008
- Digital planning dialog [with 12K and other actors] (Høykom) 2007-2008
- Mayor candidates on Internet [with 12K] (KRD) [Project manager] 2007
- Electronic Citizen Initiative [with NIBR] (KRD) 2005-2007
- Webcasting local council meetings [with 12K] [Project manager] 2005
- Common information infrastructure for municipal web sites [with 12K] 2005-2006
- SSR (Spesialsykehuset for Rehabilitering) Health Portal 2003-2005
Member of Association of Information Systems (AIS)
Member of Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Appointed Fellow of the International Academy, Research, and Industry Association (IARIA)
Conference committees and reviews
For the last five years, Lasse Berntzen has been a member of program committees for 24 different series of international conferences: ALLSENSORS, CeDem, CENTRIC, COLLA, CSC, ECDG, ECEG, ECSM, EGOV, EMCIS, EPART, IBIMA, ICDS, ICEGOV, ICEIS, ICIMP, ICTM, IWEMB, RTIS, SECITC, SMART, Smart City Conference, SmartGreens, SOTICS). For four of the conferences (CENTRIC, COLLA, ICDS, and SMART) he is a member of the advisory/steering board. He is also co-chair for the ”Big Data” track on EMCIS. In 2019 he was the local organizer for IWEMB 2019 hosted by USN.
He has contributed with several keynote presentations and tutorials in international conferences.
He also does reviews for several journals (Administrative Sciences, Applied Sciences, Cities, Electronic Commerce Research, Information, Information Systems Management; Information Technology & People; Information Technology for Development; International Journal of Electronic Governance; International Journal of Enterprise Systems Integration and Interoperability; International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH); International Journal of Geo-Information; International Journal of Information Technology and Management; International Journal of Services Technology and Management; Journal of Mobile Technologies, Journal of Open Innovation: Technology, Market, and Complexity; Journal of Plant and Animal Ecology, Journal of Theoretical and Applied Electronic Commerce Research, Knowledge and Society; Media and Communication; Sensors; Social Sciences; Sustainability; Symmetry, Urban Planning; Urban Research and Practice; and World Review of Science, Technology and Sustainable Development). He was also a lecturer on a program on "High-Performance Government" arranged by Mile, a Saudi-Arabian NGO.
2009-2011 External expert for the European Commission (External reviewer for ECRN – European Civil Registry Network)
2008-2009 External expert for Council of Europe – Ad hoc committee on e-Democracy.
2018-2020 External expert - Romanian e-Government Program