Senior Engineers with experience from system architecting or design.
What is Advanced Systems Architecting?
System architects play an integrating role between many specialized engineers and other stakeholders during the creation of new systems. The role of system architect requires a broad set of skills. This course (SESA 6202) focuses at the less technical aspects of systems architecting. The program is based on one of the basic working methods of an architect: viewpoint hopping. The course addresses systems architecting from ten different viewpoints with time boxes of about half day
During the course we address the following questions:
- How does systems architecting fit in the organization and its processes?
- What are deliverables, responsibilities and activities of the system architect?
- How to elicit requirements?
- What methods, tools and techniques are available for the architect?
- How to anticipate on future needs, trends, and changes?
- How to harvest synergy?
- What is the role of software in complex systems?
- How to structure and manage documentation?
- How to present to less technical management teams?
- What human factors impact systems architecting?
- How to apply this material in the own organization, short term and long term.
Why take Advanced Systems Architecting course?
Better understanding of
- How do you cope with conflicting needs, opinions, and interests.
- How do you lead the design team effectively.
- How do you balance innovation and risk mitigation, installed base and new systems, short term and long term.
- How do you share vision and make pragmatic choices at the same time.
Who should take this course?
Engineering managers, systems engineers, lead designers, chief engineers, senior engineers, technical directors and managers.
- Week 8: 19th - 23rd. February
The courses are organized as intensive one-week courses each with 5 days of lectures. During this week, the lectures last from 0830 to 1630 each day. The courses are a mixture of lectures and work in groups. Masterstudents and others taking courses for credit will work on a written assignment which is due 10 weeks after the end of the course. A completed course with approved written assignment will give 7.5 studypoints.
The price for attending a course depends on whether you take the course for credit or not. To get credit for the course, you need to hand in a written assignment.
- Alternative 1: Attendance only kr. 15.000,-
- Alternative 2: Attendance and written assignment kr. 20.000,-
The price includes course material, coffee and lunch during the course. For alternative 2, the price also includes supervision and grading of the written assignment.
The registration deadline for each course is 2 weeks before course starts.
We accept registrations also after the deadline, provided there are available seats. Each course has a limited number of seats, so please sign up early. We reserve the right to cancel courses with too low participation.