I am professor in clinical communication and health counseling and director of the Science Centre of Health and Technology at the University of South-Eastern Norway. My research activities cover mHealth interventions for persons with chronic pain, communication in health care and innovation processes related to implementation of welfare technology and digital surveillance in primary care including education research in these areas.
- Head of research Vitensenteret helse og teknologi
- Subject coordinator PhD-course in “The science and practice of person-centred research”
- Clinical Communication Research
- Quantitative Methods
- Innovation in healthcare and implementation of welfaretechnology
- ehealth and Health promotion
- Dr. Philos. (PhD) The Medical Faculty, University of Oslo, 2004
- Cand.Polit. (MA) in psychology, University of Trondheim, 1992
- Cand. mag. (Bachelor), University of Oslo, 1991
- Registered Nurse, Ullevål College, Oslo, 1979
2. Scientific Merits
- Head of Research, Science Centre Health and Technology University of South-Eastern Norway, since September 2012
- Professor in Clinical Communication and Health counseling, University of South-Eastern Norway, since January 2011
- Program director Master of Clinical Health Care March 2011 - 2016
- Associate professor of Nursing, Buskerud University College, August 2010 – December 2010
- Associate professor of Nursing, Oslo University College, August 2001 - 2010
- Reviewer for the Italian Research and University Evaluation Agency, Review of production from 2004-2010 (2012/2013)
- Member Scientific Committee; International Conference on Communication in Health Care 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. Reviewer 2013, 2014
- Referee for scientific journals Pat Educ Couns, J of Genetics, Soc Sci & Med, Dansk tidsskrift sygepleieforskning, BMC Nursing, BMC Medicine, BMC Public Health, BMC Med Ethics, Sykepleien Forskning, Psycho-Oncology, J of Oncology/Hematology, Gerodontology, J Adv Nurs, J Clin Nurs
- Main supervisor for 3 PhD student who have completed her degree, associate supervisor for 3 PhD student with completed degree. Currently main supervisor for 4 PhD students and associate supervisor for 3 PhD students
- Opponent at PhD defences at University of Tromsø (2008, 2 x 2009), University of Uppsala (2012), Radboud University, the Netherlands (2013,2015), Blekinge University (2014, 2105), University of Oslo (2015), University of South Denmark (2016), Åbo Akademi Vasa, Finland (2017)
- National representative for EACH (European Association for Communication in Health Care)
- Published over 70 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals – and coauthored textbooks.
3. Research Grants
- “Communication between patients with chronic pain and nurses”. (NRC Strategic university college projects SHP and Faculty of Nursing, Oslo University College) (2005 – 6/2009) (Postdoc project)
- “Stimulating self-management in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome through web-based situational feedback” (NRC. 182014/V50).1.7 2007 -01.07. 2013; (3.2 MNOK from NFR)
- ”Person centered communication with older persons in need of health care. Development of a research based education platform” (NRC, 1.6 2013 - 31.5 2017, 7,95 MNOK)
- “Digital night surveillance” with Arena Health Innovation AS and Risør, Lier og Holmestrand Municipalities. Project leader Etty Nilsen (NRC, Oslofjordfondet, qualification project, 199 000 NOK),
- “Implementation of welfare technology. Digital surveillance in municipalities and its impact on innovation of services and organisation”. Innovasjonsprosjekt ledet av Risør kommune og finansiert av de regionale forskningsfondene, Agder, Oslofjord og Hovedstad (6 MNOK). Fra 1.4 2014 –31.3 2017. Project leader Etty Nilsen.
- Nes AAG, van Dulmen S, Brembo E, Eide H. An mHealth Intervention for Persons with Diabetes Type 2 Based on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Principles: Examining Treatment Fidelity JMIR Mhealth Uhealth 2018;6(7):e151DOI: 10.2196/mhealth.9942
- Fjeld KG, Eide H, Mowe M, Sandvik L, Willumsen T. A 1-year follow-up of a randomized clinical trial with focus on manual and electric toothbrushes' effect on dental hygiene in nursing homes. 2018 May;76(4):257-261. doi: 10.1080/00016357.2017.1416166. Epub 2017
- Solheim E, Plathe H, Eide H. V Nursing students’ evaluation of a new feedback and reflection tool used during high-fidelity simulation in the formative assessment of clinical skills–A descriptive quantitative research design. Nurse Educ Pract. 2017 Nov;27:114-120. doi: 10.1016/j.nepr.2017.08.021.
- R Gorawara-Bhat, L Hafskjold, P Gulbrandsen, H Eide. Exploring Physicians' Verbal and Nonverbal Responses to Cues/Concerns: Learning from Incongruent Communication, Patient Education and Counseling, 2017 Jun 27. pii: S0738-3991(17)30375-0. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2017.06.027. [Epub ahead of print]
- Van Dulmen S, Smits L, Eide H. Filling in memory gaps through emotional communication; promising pathways in caring for persons with dementia. Patient education and Counseling, 2017 Jun 15. pii: S0738-3991(17)30360-9. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2017.06.014. [Epub ahead of print]
- Heyn L, Ellington L, Eide H. An exploration of how positive emotions are expressed by older people and nurse assistants in homecare visits. Patient education and Counseling, 2017 May 23. pii: S0738-3991(17)30302-6. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2017.05.020. [Epub ahead of print]
- Höglander J, Eklund JH, Eide H, Holmström I, Sundler AL. Registered nurses’ and nurse assistants’ responses to older persons’ expressions of emotional needs in home care. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 2017 Jun 6. doi: 10.1111/jan.13356. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hafskjold L, Sundling V, van Dulmen S, Eide H. The use of supportive communication when responding to older people’s emotional distress in home care – An observational study. BMC-Nursing, 2017 May 16;16:24. doi: 10.1186/s12912-017-0220-8. eCollection 2017..
- Brembo, Espen Andreas, Heidi Kapstad, Sandra Van Dulmen, Hilde Eide. Role of self-efficacy and social support in short-term recovery after total hip replacement. A prospective cohort study. BMC Health and quality of life outcomes, 2017 Apr 11;15(1):68. doi: 10.1186/s12955-017-0649-1..
- Sundling V, Sundler AL, Kristensen D, Holmström I, Eide H. Mindfulness Predicts Student Nurses Communication Self-Efficacy: a CROSS-NATIONAL comparative Study. Patient education and counselling, 2017
- Kristensen DV, Sundler AL, Eide H, Hafskjold L, Ruud I, Holmström IK. Person-centred communication with older persons – qualitative analysis of audio-recordings of homecare visits. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 2017. doi: 10.1111/jocn.13807. [Epub ahead of print]
- Nilsen E, Dugstad J, Eide H, Gullslett M, Eide T. Exploring resistance to implementation of welfare technology in municipal healthcare services – a longitudinal case study. BMC Health Services Research, 2016, 15;16(1):657.
- Sundling V, van Dulmen S, Eide H. Communication self-efficacy in optometry: the mediating role of mindfulness. Scandinavian Journal of Optometry and Visual Science 2016, 9(2):8-12
- Sundler AL, Höglander J, Eklund JH, Eide H, Holmström IK, (2017) Older persons’ expressions of emotional cues and concerns during home care visits. Application of the Verona Coding Definitions on Emotional Sequences (VR-CoDES) in home care. Patient Education and Counseling. 100, 2, 276–282 doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2016.09.009
- Veenvliet, C., Eide, H., de Lange M A, van Dulmen, S. Towards enhanced emotional interactions with older persons. Findings from a nursing intervention in home health care. International Journal of Person-centred Medicine, 2016, 3
- Nes A, van Dulmen S, Fors EA, Wicksell R, Eide H. Analyzing change processes resulting from a smartphone intervention based on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for women with Chronic Widespread Pain. International Journal of Behavioural Medicine, 2016
- Hafskjold L, Eide T, Holmstrøm IK, Sundling V, van Dulmen S, Eide H. Older persons’ worries expressed during home care visits: Exploring the content of cues and concerns identified by the Verona coding definitions of emotional sequence. Patient Education and Counseling 2016;99(12):1955-1963. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2016.07.015.
- Gahre Fjeld K, Eide H, Mowe M, Hove L., Willumsen T. Dental Hygiene Registration (DHR); development, validity- and reliability testing of an assessment scale designed for caregivers in institutions. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 2016 Jun 21. doi: 10.1111/jocn.13452.
- Eide H, Leren L, Sørebø Ø. The Norwegian versions of the Chronic Pain Acceptance Questionnaire CPAQ20 and CPAQ-8 – reliability and validation studies. 2016 Journal of disability and rehabilitation.
- Sundler , A. J., Eide, H., van Dulmen, S., Holmstöm,I.K. Communicative Challenges in the Home Care of Older Persons – A Qualitative Exploration. Journal of Advanced Nursing 2016 Oct;72(10):2435-44.
- Espen Andreas Brembo, Heidi Kapstad, Tom Eide, Lukas Månsson, Sandra Van Dulmen, Hilde Eide. Patient information and emotional needs across the hip osteoarthritis treatment and care continuum: a qualitative study. BMC Health Services Research. 2016, Mar 12;16:88. doi: 10.1186/s12913-016-1342-5.
- Eide, Tom, Sandra van Dulmen, Hilde Eide. Educating for ethical leadership through web-based coaching. Nursing Ethics, 2016 23(8):851-865. doi: 10.1177/0969733015584399. Epub 2016 Aug 3.
- Hafskjold L, Sundler AL, Holmström I, Sundling V, van Dulmen S, Eide H. A cross-sectional study on person-centred communication in the care of older people – The COMHOME study protocol. BMJ Open 2015;5:e007864 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-007864
- Kristjansdottir O, Fors EA, Eide E, Finset A, van Dulmen S., Stensrud TL, Wigers S, H Eide H A smartphone-based intervention with diaries and therapist-feedback to reduce catastrophizing and increase functioning in women with chronic widespread pain. Part 2. 11-month results of a randomized controlled trial. J Med Internet Res 2013 | vol. 15 | iss. 3 | e72 |
- Nes A, Eide H, Kristjansdottir O, van Dulmen S. Web-based, self-management enhancing interventions with e-diaries and personalized feedback for persons with chronic illness; a tale of three studies. Patient education and Counseling, 2013, 93(3):451-8. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2013.01.022. Epub 2013 Feb 21.
- Kristjansdottir O, Fors EA, Eide E, Finset A, van Dulmen S., Stensrud TL, Wigers S, H Eide H A smartphone-based intervention with diaries and therapist-feedback to reduce catastrophizing and increase functioning in women with chronic widespread pain: randomized controlled trial. J Med Internet Res. 2013 Jan 7;15(1):e5. doi: 10.2196/jmir.2249.
- Nes A, van Dulmen S, Eide E, Finset A, Steen I, Eide H. The development and feasibility of a web-based intervention with diaries and situational feedback via smartphone to support self-management in patients with diabetes type 2. Diabetes Research and Clinical practice 2012, 97,3:385-393.
- Eide H, Foss S, Sanner M, Mathiesen R. Organdonasjon og legers behov for opplæring, Det Norske legetidsskriftet, 2012, 10, 132, 1235-1238
- van Dulmen S, Humphris G, Eide H. Towards a guideline for person-centred research in clinical communication; lessons learned from three countries. International Journal of Person Centred Medicine, 2012, 1, 58-63
- Jelin E, Granum V, Eide H (2012). Experiences of a web-based nursing intervention—interviews with women with chronic musculoskeletal pain. Pain Mangement Nursing, 2012 Mar;13(1):2-10
- Kristjansdottir O, Fors EA, Eide E, Finset A, van Dulmen S, Hørven Wigers S, Eide H. Written situational feedback via mobile phone to support self-management of chronic widespread pain: a usability pilot study. BMC – Musculoskeletal disorders 2011, 12:51. doi:10.1186/1471-2474-12-51
- Eide H, Sibbern T, Egeland T, Finset A, Johannessen T, Miaskowski C, Rustøen T. (2011) An Interaction Analysis of Fibromyalgia Patients’ communication of Cues and Concerns in their First Consultation with a Nurse at a Pain Clinic. Clinical Journal of Pain, 27(7): 602-10
- Hilde Eide, Tonje Sibbern, Tone Johannessen (2011). Empathic accuracy of nurses' immediate responses to fibromyalgia patients' expressions of negative emotions: an evaluation using interaction analysis. Journal of Advanced nursing 67(6), 1242–1253. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05579.x
- Eide, H, Eide, T, Rustøen, T, Finset. A. Patient validation of Cues and Concerns identified according to Verona-CoDES. A Video – and Interview Based Approach. Patient education and counselling 82 (2011) 156–162
- Zimmermann C, Del Piccolo L, Bensing J, Bergvik S, De Haes H, Eide H, Fletcher I, Goss C, Humphries G, Kim Y-M, Langewitz W, Meeuwesen L, Nuebling M, Rimondini M, Salmon P, Wissow L, Zandbelt L, van Dulmen S, Finset A. Coding Patient Cues and Concerns in Medical Consultations: The Verona Coding Definitions of Emotional Sequences (VR-CoDES).). Patient education and counselling, 2011, 82, 2: 141-148.
Books and Book Chapters (selected)
- Eide, Hilde & Tom Eide. Kommunikasjon i relasjoner. Personorientering, samhandling, etikk [Communication in relationships]. Third Edition, Oslo: Gyldendal Academic Press, 2017 (450 p.) (1th edition 1996). (oversatt til svensk og dansk)
- B. McCormack, S. van Dulmen, H. Eide, K. Skovdahl & T. Eide (Eds). Person-centred Healthcare Research. B. . London: Wiley Blackwell, 2017.
- Eide, Hilde; Nes, Andrea, Eide, Tom: Smertemestring og behandling via internet. I Fors E & Stiles T (reds.) Smertepsykologi. Oslo: Universitetsforlaget, 2017.
- Eide H, Eide T: Kommunikasjon i relasjoner – det lille som gjør en forskjell. I Kjetil Johnsen og Hans Otto Engvold (red). Klinisk kommunikasjon i praksis. 2013, Universitetsforlaget, Oslo
- Hilde Eide, Ólöf B. Kristjánsdoóttir, Andrea Nes. Kommunikasjonsteknologisk helseveiledning - kognisjon, emosjonalitet og betydningen av situasjonsfeedback. I Lerdal A og Fagermoen MS (red). Læring og mestring - et helsefremmende perspektiv i praksis og forskning. 2011, Gyldendal Akademisk; Oslo
Complete list Pubmed
Profile Google Scholar