Insurance for students coming from outside the EU/EEA

All students from countries outside the EU/EEA should have private or public health insurance from their home country covering their first months in Norway. After these couple of months the type of insurance needed depends on how long you are staying:

Staying less than 3 months

Students staying less than 3 months must have health insurance from their home country covering their entire stay in Norway.


Staying in Norway between 3 and 12 months

You can apply for voluntary membership in the National Insurance Scheme (

  • Fill in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme (PDF) entitling you to social security coverage with regard to health services.

  • Enclose a copy of your USN admission letter, passport, and a copy of your residence permit.

  • Send the form and the additional documents to the closest NAV Office (you must enter your four digit postcode).

  • Please note: It can take a long time until you are fully registered with the national insurance scheme. Therefore we strongly suggest that students should have public or private health coverage from their home country until you qualify. 

  • You must have public or private social security coverage from your home country for the whole period you are studying if you do not apply as described above. 


Staying in Norway for more than 1 year

  • All students staying more than a year are automatically insured under the National Insurance Scheme ( when they register as a resident in Norway with the National Registry. Please note that students need their own insurance untill the registration process is complete.

Additional Insurance

In addition to health insurance, it is the students' own responsibility to check which supplemental insurance, including travel insurance and insurance for personal belongings, is necessary. For further information about additional insurance students should check with an insurance provider in their home country.

Learn more about health insurance