Do I have access to doctor and medical services?

Everyone who is resident in a Norwegian municipality is entitled to be registered as a patient with a primary doctor (GP). You cannot get a regular GP before you have a  national identity number. You can choose a GP at a clinic near your home, but sometimes there are no free places so you are assigned to a GP that requires some travel. If you are staying more than 6 months you are entitled to a personal physician. You should register for a physician as soon as you have your national ID number. Do not wait until you get sick. 

The general practitioner (in Norwegian: "fastlege") works as the main doctor overseeing a person’s health. Please notice that there is not a regular system in Norway for being invited for regular checkups.

Primary doctor (GP):

  • See your primary doctor about general health problems or to be referred to a specialist.
  • If needed, the GP will refer you to a specialist or a hospital for further treatment.
  • All patients pay a consultation fee when visiting their GP.
    Read more on New in Norway's information pages. 


If you are staying less than 6 months, you will not get a personal physician. However, you are still entitled to medical care.

  • Accident and emergency departments: accept patients in need of immediate help, i.e. treatment of illnesses and injuries that cannot wait until the next day.
  • Emergencies – call 113: for life-threatening and acute health problems.
  • Studentsamskipnaden (SSN) offers a variety of health services for students at USN. 

If you get sick and need to see a doctor, look at this page about primary doctor for more information. If you are a EEA citizen you can also find information here.

All municipalities in Norway offer an out-of-hours medical service for immediate medical assistance 24 hours a day. Call the 6-digit number 116 117 for free to contact your local out-of-hours medical centre. In an emergency, call 113.
Click here to see what the out-of-hours medical service can do for you.

Another option is to use a private doctors like Dr.Dropin.