I am professor in clinical communication and health counseling and director of the Science Centre of Health and Technology at the University of South-Eastern Norway. My research activities cover mHealth interventions for persons with chronic pain, communication in health care and innovation processes related to implementation of welfare technology and digital surveillance in primary care including education research in these areas.
- Head of research Vitensenteret helse og teknologi (since 2012)
- Clinical Communication Research
- Quantitative Methods
- Innovation in healthcare and implementation of welfaretechnology
- ehealth and Health promotion
- Research Management Course, Copenhagen School of Business, 2014
- Dr. Philos. (PhD) The Medical Faculty, University of Oslo, 2004
- Cand.Polit. (MA) in psychology, University of Trondheim, 1992
- Cand. mag. (Bachelor), University of Oslo, 1991
- Registered Nurse, Ullevål College, Oslo, 1979
2. Scientific Merits
- Director & Head of Research, Science Centre Health and Technology, USN 2017 -2019
- Professor in Clinical Communication and Health counseling, USN 2011-
- Program director Master of Clinical Health Care 2011 – 2016
- Member of Program Board PhD- program in Person-centred Healthcare. 2017-2020
- Menber Regional Ethics Committee (A) 2017-
- Coordinator Introduction PhD-course: The Science and Practice of Person-centred Research (15 ECTS), 2014-2020
- Completed PhD supervision: Main supervisor for 5 candidates and associate supervisor for 3 candidates.
- Ongoing PhD supervision: Main supervision of 2 candidates and associate supervision of 4 candidates.
- Main supervisor for 22 students completing master theses.
- Member of scientific networks: EACH, IASP, OCHER.no, IFFIC, NSF, SBM
- Managing Editor Patient Education and Counseling, 2019-
- Opponent PhD defences in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and the Netherlands (16).
- Member of several scientific evaluation committees (project proposals; PhD-theses; candidates for professor positions e.g.)
- Published over 80 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals
- Co-authored textbooks and research handbook.
- H-index 25 (Google Scholar 33)
3. Research Grants
- Development of Clinical judgement and Use of Natural Sciences during Nursing Education (Olaf Thon Foundation 2018-2021 1.5 MNOK)
- ” Person centered communication with older persons in need of health care. Development of a research based education platform” (NRC, 1.6 2013 - 31.6 2017, 7,95 MNOK)
- “Stimulating self-management in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome through web-based situational feedback” (NRC. 182014/V50).1.7 2007 -01.07. 2013; (3.2 MNOK from NFR)
- “ePain - Living well with chronic pain: using person-centered e-health design to support self-management” (NRC1.12017 – 31.12. 2020, 19 MNOK, researcher and mentor 20%) PI Lise Solberg Nes, Senter for Samhandlingsforskning og pasientmedvirkning OUS/UIO.
- “Implementation of welfare technology. Digital surveillance in municipalities and its impact on innovation of services and organisation”. Innovasjonsprosjekt ledet av Risør kommune og finansiert av de regionale forskningsfondene, Agder, Oslofjord og Hovedstad (6 MNOK). Fra 1.4 2014 –31.3 2017. Project leader Etty Nilsen.
- “Communication between patients with chronic pain and nurses”. (NRC Strategic university college projects SHP and Faculty of Nursing, Oslo University College) (2005 – 6/2009) (Postdoc project)
- “Digital night surveillance” with Arena Health Innovation AS and Risør, Lier og Holmestrand Municipalities. Project leader Etty Nilsen (NRC, Oslofjordfondet, qualification project, 199 000 NOK),
Publications from 2017
- Flatlandsmo S, Fors EA, Eide H, Helvik A. Pain acceptance and its impact on function and symptoms in fibromyalgia. 2020, In Press Scandinavian Journal of Pain
- Fors, E.A., Wensaas, K-A., Eide, H., Jaatun, E.A., Clauw, D.J., Wolfe, F., Helvik, A-S. Fibromyalgia 2016 criteria and assessments: comprehensive validation in a Norwegian population. 2020, Scandinavian Journal of Pain, https://doi.org/10.1515/sjpain-2020-0002
- Brembo E, Eide H, van Dulmen S, Kasper J. Building ground for didactics in a patient decision aid for hip osteoarthritis. Exploring patient-related barriers and facilitators towards shared decision-making. Patient Educ Couns. 2020, 3, doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2020.02.003.
- Sundling V, Hafskjold L, Håkansson Eklund J, Holmström IK, Höglander J, Sundler AJ, van Dulmen S, Eide H. Communication in Home Health Care: A Comparison of nursing staff responses in Norway and Sweden. Patient Education and Counseling. 2020 Mar 2. pii: S0738-3991(20)30117-8. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2020.03.002. [Epub ahead of print]
- Dugstad V, Sundling V, Nilsen ER, Eide H. Nursing staff´s evaluation of facilitators and barriers during implementation of wireless nurse call systems in residential care facilities. A cross-sectional study. Health Service Research 2019* Jun 10;19(1):366. doi: 10.1186/s12913-019-4191-1.
- Leren L. Johansen E, Eide H, Juvet L, Ljosaa M. Pain in persons with chronic venous leg ulcers: a systematic review and meta-analysis. International Wound Journal, 2020, doi: 10.1111/iwj.13296. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ledel Solem, I.K.; Varsi, C.; Eide, H.; Kristjansdottir, O.B.; Børøsund, E. Schreurs, K.M.G.; Waxenberg, L.B.; Weiss, K.E.; Morrison, E.J.; Haaland-Øverby, M.; Bevan, K.; Zangi, H.A.; Stubhaug, A.; Solberg Nes, L. Design and Development of EPIO; A User-centered Approach to an Evidence-based eHealth Pain Management Intervention for People with Chronic Pain. JMIR, 2020 *
- Dugstad, J.; Sundling, V.; Nilsen, E.; Eide. H. Evaluating Welfare Technology Implementation in Municipal Care Services- Contextual Adaptation of the Measurement Instrument of Determinants of Innovation (MIDI) 2019
- Myklebust AM, Eide H; Ellis B; Beattie R. Experiences from Decentralised Radiological Services in Norway – a rural case study, BMC Health Serv Res. 2019 Dec 12;19(1):959. doi: 10.1186/s12913-019-4800-z.*
- Varsi C, Solberg Nes L, Kristjansdottir OB, Kelders SM, Stenberg U, Zangi HA, Børøsund E, Weiss KE, Stubhaug A, Asbjørnsen RA, Ødegaard M, Westeng M, Eide H. Implementation strategies to enhance the implementation of eHealth programs for patients with chronic illnesses: A realist systematic review. JMIR, 2019
- Egilsdottir Ö, Byermoen Røland K, Moen A, Eide H. Evaluating Bachelor Level Nursing students’ Competence and Confidence in Physical Assessment in Clinical Rotation - a cohort study. BMC Nursing, 2019
- Dugstad J, Eide T, Nilsen E, Eide H. Towards successful digital transformation through co-creation: A longitudinal study of a four-year implementation of digital monitoring technology in residential care for persons with dementia. BMC Health Services Research, 2019
- Höglander J, Sundler AJ, Spreeuwenberg P, Holmström IK, Eide H, van Dulmen S, Håkansson Eklund J. Communication with older people: A cross-sectional study of home care. Nursing and Health Science, 2019 Apr 7. doi: 10.1111/nhs.12611. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ledel Solem IK, Varsi C, Eide H, Kristjansdottir OB, Mirkovic J, Børøsund E, Haaland-Øverby M, Heldal K, Schreurs KM, Waxenberg LB, Weiss KE, Morrison EJ, Solberg Nes L. Patients' Needs and Requirements for eHealth Pain Management Interventions: Qualitative Study. J Med Internet Res. 2019 Apr 1;21(4):e13205. doi: 10.2196/13205.*
- Sundling V, Stene HA, Eide H, Ofstad EH. I Identifying decisions in Optometry: A Validation Study of the Decision Identification and Classification Taxonomy for Use in Medicine (DICTUM) in Optometric Consultations. Patient Education and Counseling, Feb 18. pii: S0738-3991(19)30068-0. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2019.02.018. [Epub ahead of print]*
- Hafskjold L, Sundling V, Eide H. Nursing staff’s responses to thematic content of patients’ expressed worries: observing communication in home care visits. BMC Health Services Research, 2018 Aug 3;18(1):597. doi: 10.1186/s12913-018-3390-5
- Nes AAG, van Dulmen S, Brembo E, Eide H. An mHealth Intervention for Persons with Diabetes Type 2 Based on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Principles: Examining Treatment Fidelity JMIR Mhealth Uhealth 2018;6(7):e151DOI: 10.2196/mhealth.9942
- Fjeld KG, Eide H, Mowe M, Sandvik L, Willumsen T. A 1-year follow-up of a randomized clinical trial with focus on manual and electric toothbrushes' effect on dental hygiene in nursing homes. 2018 May;76(4):257-261. doi: 10.1080/00016357.2017.1416166. Epub 2017
- Solheim E, Plathe H, Eide H. V Nursing students’ evaluation of a new feedback and reflection tool used during high-fidelity simulation in the formative assessment of clinical skills–A descriptive quantitative research design. Nurse Educ Pract. 2017 Nov;27:114-120. doi: 10.1016/j.nepr.2017.08.021.
- R Gorawara-Bhat, L Hafskjold, P Gulbrandsen, H Eide. Exploring Physicians' Verbal and Nonverbal Responses to Cues/Concerns: Learning from Incongruent Communication, Patient Education and Counseling, 2017 Jun 27. pii: S0738-3991(17)30375-0. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2017.06.027. [Epub ahead of print]
- Van Dulmen S, Smits L, Eide H. Filling in memory gaps through emotional communication; promising pathways in caring for persons with dementia. Patient education and Counseling, 2017 Jun 15. pii: S0738-3991(17)30360-9. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2017.06.014. [Epub ahead of print]
- Heyn L, Ellington L, Eide H. An exploration of how positive emotions are expressed by older people and nurse assistants in homecare visits. Patient education and Counseling, 2017 May 23. pii: S0738-3991(17)30302-6. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2017.05.020. [Epub ahead of print]
- Höglander J, Eklund JH, Eide H, Holmström I, Sundler AL. Registered nurses’ and nurse assistants’ responses to older persons’ expressions of emotional needs in home care. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 2017 Jun 6. doi: 10.1111/jan.13356. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hafskjold L, Sundling V, van Dulmen S, Eide H. The use of supportive communication when responding to older people’s emotional distress in home care – An observational study. BMC-Nursing, 2017 May 16;16:24. doi: 10.1186/s12912-017-0220-8. eCollection 2017..
- Brembo, Espen Andreas, Heidi Kapstad, Sandra Van Dulmen, Hilde Eide. Role of self-efficacy and social support in short-term recovery after total hip replacement. A prospective cohort study. BMC Health and quality of life outcomes, 2017 Apr 11;15(1):68. doi: 10.1186/s12955-017-0649-1..
- Sundling V, Sundler AL, Kristensen D, Holmström I, Eide H. Mindfulness Predicts Student Nurses Communication Self-Efficacy: a CROSS-NATIONAL comparative Study. Patient education and counselling, 2017
- Kristensen DV, Sundler AL, Eide H, Hafskjold L, Ruud I, Holmström IK. Person-centred communication with older persons – qualitative analysis of audio-recordings of homecare visits. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 2017. doi: 10.1111/jocn.13807. [Epub ahead of print]
- Nilsen E, Dugstad J, Eide H, Gullslett M, Eide T. Exploring resistance to implementation of welfare technology in municipal healthcare services – a longitudinal case study. BMC Health Services Research, 2016, 15;16(1):657.
- Sundling V, van Dulmen S, Eide H. Communication self-efficacy in optometry: the mediating role of mindfulness. Scandinavian Journal of Optometry and Visual Science 2016, 9(2):8-12
- Sundler AL, Höglander J, Eklund JH, Eide H, Holmström IK, (2017) Older persons’ expressions of emotional cues and concerns during home care visits. Application of the Verona Coding Definitions on Emotional Sequences (VR-CoDES) in home care. Patient Education and Counseling. 100, 2, 276–282 doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2016.09.009
Books and Book Chapters (selected)
- Eide H & Eide T. Digital helse, læring og mestring [Digital health, learning and mastery]. In Vågan A (red)
Helsepedagogikk, teori og praksis. 2020, Oslo: Gyldendal Academic Press.
- Eide, Hilde & Tom Eide. Kommunikasjon i relasjoner. Personorientering, samhandling, etikk [Communication in relationships]. Third Edition, Oslo: Gyldendal Academic Press, 2017 (450 p.) (1th edition 1996). (oversatt til svensk og dansk)
- B. McCormack, S. van Dulmen, H. Eide, K. Skovdahl & T. Eide (Eds). Person-centred Healthcare Research. B. . London: Wiley Blackwell, 2017.
- Eide, Hilde; Nes, Andrea, Eide, Tom: Smertemestring og behandling via internet. I Fors E & Stiles T (reds.) Smertepsykologi. Oslo: Universitetsforlaget, 2017.
- Eide H, Eide T: Kommunikasjon i relasjoner – det lille som gjør en forskjell. I Kjetil Johnsen og Hans Otto Engvold (red). Klinisk kommunikasjon i praksis. 2013, Universitetsforlaget, Oslo
- Hilde Eide, Ólöf B. Kristjánsdoóttir, Andrea Nes. Kommunikasjonsteknologisk helseveiledning - kognisjon, emosjonalitet og betydningen av situasjonsfeedback. I Lerdal A og Fagermoen MS (red). Læring og mestring - et helsefremmende perspektiv i praksis og forskning. 2011, Gyldendal Akademisk; Oslo
Complete list Pubmed
Profile Google Scholar