- Master in educational science: program coordinator and responsible for course in theory and method
- International teacher / social science education: responsible for course “Societies in motion”
- PhD supervision: main supervisor for Liv Lofthus (USN) and Vibeke Sjøvoll (HiOA), Ana Koncul (USN), and Åsne Håndlykken-Luz (USN)
- Leader of research group Qualitative methods in professional practice
- Member of the leadership group for PEDRES (PhD program)
qualitative methods; space–materiality–mobility; body & the senses; phenomenology & ethnomethodology; urban studies; heritage; social control & resistance; absence; climate change
Research projects & networks
- Research Group Qualitative Methods in Professional Practice, USN (head of group)
- Research Group Cultural Heritage in Use, USN
- Norwegian network for didactics in social sciences
- Association for Critical Heritage Studies, Norwegian Chapter
- AHRC Sensory Cities Network, Brunel University, London
- International Ambiances Network, international research network, Grenoble/Nantes
- Stadt-Raum-Architektur, independent research network for junior researchers
2015: member of Telemark University College’s research committee
Peer review for: Theory, Culture & Society; Cultural Geographies; Qualitative Sociology; Space and Culture; Urban Studies; Current Sociology; Nature and Culture; Transfers; Journal of Urban Cultural Studies, Österreichische Zeitschrift für Soziologie; Sosiologisk Tidsskrift; Ambiance; Kriminologisches Journal; FORMakademisk; Europa Regional; Nordisk kulturpolitisk tidsskrift; Norsk Pedagogisk Tidsskrift; Bebyggelsehistorisk tidskrift; and for Ashgate Publishers.
I studied sociology at Universität Kiel, Humboldt Universität Berlin, Freie Universität Berlin (all in Germany) and at Indiana Unversity Bloomington (USA). I received my diploma (MA) from Freie Universität in 2002. At Technische Universität Darmstadt (Germany) I had a PhD scholarship and received a PhD (Dr. phil.) in sociology in 2006. Afterwards I worked as janitor, and as postdoc and researcher in several institutions: Technische Universität Darmstadt, Universitet i Oslo, Arkitektur- og Designhøgskolen and at Universität Hamburg. From 2012 onwards I had a permanent position at USN’s forerunner Telemark University College, where I was promoted to full professor in 2014. I also had a position as professor for qualitative methods at NTNU’s Department of Sociology and Political Science from 2014-2015.
For a full cv, more information and direct download links for my publications see my personal website.