- Head of PhD program in Culture Studies (on leave in the academic year 2021-2022)
- University board member (elected by faculty)
- Responsible for PhD level courses PHDTSRE and PHDVEM in Research Ethics and History and Philosophy of Science, and for PhD level course 9211 in Visual and multisensory methods
- PhD supervision (current): main supervisor for Liv Lofthus (USN), Vibeke Sjøvoll (OsloMet), Åsne Håndlykken-Luz (USN), Elin Bøen (USN), Shari Bloom (USN) and Laima Nomeikaite (USN and Roskilde University); secondary superviser Benjamin Richards (USN); mentor (FraMeS Mentoring program for Women Scientists) for Inka Fürtig (University Siegen, Germany)
- Leader of research group Qualitative methods in professional practice
qualitative methods; failure in research and professional practice; research ethics; space–materiality–mobility; body & the senses; phenomenology & ethnomethodology; science & technology studies (STS); urban studies; heritage; social control & resistance; absence; climate change
Research projects & networks
- Research Group Qualitative Methods in Professional Practice, USN (head of group)
- Research Group Cultural Heritage in Use, USN
- Norwegian network for didactics in social sciences
- Association for Critical Heritage Studies, Norwegian Chapter
- AHRC Sensory Cities Network, Brunel University, London
- International Ambiances Network, international research network, Grenoble/Nantes
- Stadt-Raum-Architektur, independent research network for junior researchers
2015: member of Telemark University College’s research committee
Peer review for: Theory, Culture & Society; Qualitative Research; Cultural Geographies; Recherches sociologiques et anthropologiques; Qualitative Sociology; Space and Culture; Urban Studies; Current Sociology; Visual Studies; Nature and Culture; Area; Transfers; Journal of Urban Cultural Studies; Österreichische Zeitschrift für Soziologie; Sosiologisk Tidsskrift; Ambiance; Kriminologisches Journal; FORMakademisk; Europa Regional; Nordisk kulturpolitisk tidsskrift; Norsk Pedagogisk Tidsskrift; Bebyggelsehistorisk tidskrift; and for Ashgate Publishers.
I studied sociology at Universität Kiel, Humboldt Universität Berlin, Freie Universität Berlin (all in Germany) and at Indiana Unversity Bloomington (USA). I received my diploma (Dipl. Soz, equivalent to MA) from Freie Universität Berlin in 2002. At Technische Universität Darmstadt (Germany) I had a PhD scholarship and received a Dr. phil. (PhD) in sociology in 2006. Afterwards I worked as janitor, and as postdoc and researcher in several institutions: Technische Universität Darmstadt, Universitet i Oslo, Arkitektur- og Designhøgskolen and at Universität Hamburg. From 2012 onwards I had a permanent position at Telemark University College (which later became part of USN), where I was promoted to full professor in 2014. I also had a position as professor for qualitative methods at NTNU’s Department of Sociology and Political Science from 2014-2015.
In 2019, I was appointed as leader of the board for USN’s PhD in Culture Studies and elected as member of USN’s board.