no Menu close

Arrival to Norway

What you need to be aware of when traveling to and moving to Norway for your studies.

Bachelor i friluftsliv, kultur- og naturveiledning. Internasjonal student ser på kart og orienterer seg for å kunne lede gruppen.


When coming to Norway you have to have a valid health insurance from your own country that will cover your expenses here. Even though it's stated that Norway has free health care, this is limited and does not apply to everyone coming here. 

  • If you are an international student who is staying for more than 6 months, you will be applicable for the National Insurance Scheme. This is a free health care insurance that means that you only pay a small fee when going to the doctor, the same as Norwegian citizens. This can however take up to 3 months, so you need to have a valid insurance from your home country that lasts the first three months you are here. 
  • The National Insurance Scheme does not cover opticians or dentist appointments. The latter is quite expensive in Norway. 
  • If you are not applicable for the National Insurance Scheme your insurance must cover you for the whole period you are here. 
  • We also strongly recommend that each student has a valid travel insurance in case of any changes to your travel plans. 
  • There are slight differences in insurance for students coming from inside the EU/EEA and those coming from countries outside the EU/EEA. 
  • Students from the EU must bring their european health insurance card (digital copy is not enough). 


If you have any questions about student visa and coming to Norway, please check out this page. 


As of now, there are no restrictions in terms of if you need to be vaccinated in order to come to Norway. Both vaccinated and non-vaccinated can be allowed entry and there is usually no testing or quarantine for incoming travellers. 

Getting to campus

We have directions as to how to get to campus from the airports and Oslo city centre to each campus. You can also check out the arrival guide for more information and direction. Your student assistant will also be available to help guide you. 

Police registration

USN has arranged group appointments for exchange and international students. 
These appointments are only for students who arrives for the autumn semester and not for family members or students who need their residence permit renewed. All incoming students (except for Nordic) have to register with the police when coming to Norway.  If you cannot come to the group appointment, you have to book your own appointment. Please note that this is difficult and there are few appointments available. 

The police appointments will be at Stokke police station for all campuses except Ringerike, who will go to Hønefoss police station. For campuses where the students are unable to get to the police station via public transport, USN will arrange a bus service. We will set up the groups for you, please be patient and wait for an email letting you know when you will have your appointment. Your program coordinator will be informed and we try our best to make sure you are not missing classes or other educational activities. 

These are the campus appointments and USN will assign you to your appointment:
Campus Bø               August 17th and 18th 
Campus Kongsberg  August 19th
Campus Porsgrunn   August 23th and 24th (public transportation)
Campus Notodden    August 24th
Campus Vestfold       August 25th  (public transportation)
Campus Drammen    August 26th  (public transportation)
Campus Rauland      August 29th
Campus Ringerike    Hønefoss police station August 24th and 26th at 09:00 o'clock

Moving with family

There are a lot of things you need to be aware of if you are taking your spouse and/or children with you when moving to Norway for your studies. You must be prepared to find out a lot of information on your own.


SSN (student welfare services) are responsible for the student housing units on each campus. There are few family units available for each campus and you may risk not being able to secure one of these apartments. Please keep in mind that SSN and USN are not the same organizations, so if you have any questions, contact SSN directly.

If you are not able to get one of the family apartmens, you will have to try to get one through the private market. This can be quite difficult without a Norwegian social security number, but it is possible. Check out: and These sites are in Norwegian and can be a little tricky to naviate. You can also check out airbnb.

A lot of towns also have facebook groups for housing oppurtunities. Just type in the name of the town you are staying in (for example Drammen) and then "bolig" (housing).