Our main research focus is using micro- and nanotechnologies for devices and process technologies to the advance of electronic sensors, actuators and systems used in industrial instrumentation, environment control, health care, maritime and oil&gas applications.
Examples are: Micro energy harvesters for wireless systems, micro energy storage devices and wireless power transfer. Graphene forest and interconnect cross-linked CNTs (patented) for supercapacitors of high energy density. Ultrasound sensor technology for use in health care, maritime and NDT, RF acoustic sensors and resonators including Bulk Acoustic Wave (BAW) resonators, Thin Film Bulk Wave Acoustic Resonators (FBAR) and Surface Acoustic Wave (SAW) sensors, ultrathin MEMS microphone for air dynamic study.
Micro/nano featured electrode for bio-electrochemical systems such as Power-to-X for CO2 recycling, waste to energy, and energy storage, cryogenic optoelectronic packaging, non-invasive blood glucose sensors, carbon dioxide blood gas sensors and humidity sensors in buildings. Optics for laser projectors, mobile phone camera lenses, statistical optics phenomenon in coherent imaging, computational imaging, efficient nanocomposite materials for solid-state lighting, vacuum MEMS devices and semiconductor lasers & devices for extreme high frequency (Terahertz) applications.
The group contributes to teaching and supervision activities for the USN bachelor-, master- and PhD programs within micro- and nanotechnologies and other engineering programs. The R&D projects in the group use in-house laboratory resources of the MST-Lab at USN, the Norfab resources and laboratory resources at international partners. This means we can perform or have laboratory experiments performed with a wide range of advanced laboratory equipment, for prototype fabrication and for analysis.
We are working closely with industrial companies in our region, and have strong collaborations with academic and industrial partners, both domestically and internationally. Our aim is to be a critical competence partner for the industry.
- EU METIS Microelectronics Training, Industry and Skills
- EU H2020 - AeroMic
- EU APPLAUSE Advanced packaging for photonics, optics and electronics for low cost manufacturing in Europe.
- RCN –SYNKNOYT COMPMIC (Computational Fourier Ptychographic microscopy)
- RCN - FRINATEK Computational Microscopy of Porous Materials
- RCN - PROFESJON Advanced Piezoelectric Devices
- EU EMPIR QuADC Cryogenic Optoelectronics
- RCN - BIA HILASE, Barco Projection Design
- RCN - SFI CIUS (Center for Innovative Ultrasound Solutions)
- NFR - IPN CFRON. Frontend and transducer technology for next generation cardiovascular ultrasound probes.
- DIKU - INTPART Centre for Optical and Acoustical Sensor Technology
- Oslofjord preproject - AlN SAW
- NFR IPN MANTIS
- USN strategic project - Energy and climate
- Oslofjord preproject - Improving anaerobic digestion by addition of Carbon-iron composite materialNORPART - Instituting of research-based education systems for the development of renewable energy technology in circular economy
- ESA ARTES Advanced Technology (HiBAR)
- EEA ARMIN – Arm Neuroprosthesis Equipped with Artificial Skin and Sensorial Feedback
- NFR - ENERGIX Integrated Micro Power Harvesters
- NFR - BIA Beat The Human Eye
- Innovation Norway – Sensocure Multisensor unit
- NFR- Optical functions and Lab-on-a-Chip for microparticles and biomedicine
- NFR – BIA Hybrid Integrated Components For Optical Display Systems
- NFR - BIP Next generation projection technology based on laser illumination
- NFR – BIA Next-generation UHD and 4K solid-state illuminated projection
- NFR FORNY Supercapacitors
- NFR FORNY RedOx PL
- Oslofjord preproject - Efficient Zn-CO2 battery for CO2 conversion and anaerobic biogas upgrading
- Swedish VR, VTL-Vertical Transistor Laser
- Nabin Aryal: BEC in energy and climate
- Mansoor Khan: Ultrasound transducer technology
On-going PhD projects
Ultrasound sensor technology
- Per Kristian Bolstad: «Ultrasound Transducers for Harsh Environments».
- Ellen K. S. Røed: «New active materials in underwater transducers». Industrial PhD from Kongsberg Maritime.
- Thong Tuan Huynh, Non-ideal effects in transducers – Industrial partner: GE Vingmed Ultrasound.
- Amirfereydon Mansoori, Piezoelectric Micromachined Ultrasound Transducers
- Hoi Yi Siu, Ultrasound Transducers for High Temperature Applications.
Optics and Photonics
- Fan Chen: nanocomposite red phosphor material.
- Mojde Hasanzade: «High Resolution Fourier Ptychographic Microscopy».
- Ahmet Burak Cunbul: «Novel optical engines for UHD, 4K DMD laser/phosphor projectors».
- Mahdieh Gholamimayani: «High Resolution Polarization Fourier Ptychographic Microscopy».
- Angelos Bouchouri: Diffractive optics for IR imaging.
Energy storage and harvesting
- Binh Duc Truong: «Approaching theoretical power bounds for vibration energy harvesters».
- Yingge Wang: «Nano featured electrode for high energy density supercapacitors».
- Xiao Fan: «Nano composite material for Supercapacitor of high energy density».
- Chengjun Yu: «Low dimensional material for Supercapacitors with improved energy density».
- Mohammad Shojaeifard: «Ultrathin PiezoMEMS microphone».
- Arian Nowbahari: «Advanced Power Management Circuits for Piezoelectric Wireless Energy Transfer».
- Trinh Bich Hoang: Development of acoustic wave biosensor for glucose monitoring.
- Vegard Tollefsen: Fabrication and modelling of thin film piezoelectric resonators for high frequency filtering application.
- Phillip Alexander Hetland Papatzacos: «Wafer-Level Packaging for Infrared Microbolometers».
- Hexin Xia: «Hermetic wafer-level Bonding for Uncooled Microbolometer FPAs».
- Huyen T. Nguyen: «MEMS logic for extreme temperature applications».
- Yelzhas Zhaksylyk: « Inductive impedance matching network for Magnetic Resonant Wireless Power Transmission».
Networks and Partners
University of Oslo
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
- Norwegian Institute of Metrology (Justervesenet)
- University of Illinois
- UC Berkeley
- KTH, Stockholm
- EPFL, Lausanne
- Uppsala University
- Chalmers institute of Technology
- PTB, Germany
- TU Ilmenau, Germany
- NPL, UK
- VTT, Finland
- INSA Lyon, France
- ESIEE, Paris
- Shanxi University, China
- Kathmandu University, (KU) Nepal,
- University of Sri Jayewardenepura (USJ) Sri Lanka
- Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST), Bangladesh
- Taiyuan Un of Technology, China
- Politehnica University of Bucharest
- IMT-Bucharest, National Institute for Research and Development in Microtechnologies
- Kongsberg Space Electronics
- Barco Projection Design
- Kongsberg Maritime
- GE Vingmed Ultrasound
- GE Parallel Design SA
- Exact Therapeutics
- ELKEM Silicon Materials
- Biowater technology AS
- NORAS Watertech AS
- HUDSOON Optical AS