Faculty of Health and Social Sciences (HS) offers studies in nursing, social education, child welfare and radiography. In addition, we have the country's only education in optometry.
The faculty has the following departments:
- Department of Nursing and Health Sciences: Lise Gladhus
- Department of Health, Social and Welfare Studies: Ramona Lorentsen
- Department of Optometry, Radiography and Lighting Design: Bente Monica Aakre
Our faculty includes committed professionals with extensive experience. This ensures our programs to be relevant to the challenges you face in the workplace.
In addition to professional study programs, we offer a number of master degree programs, including: Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Preventive Work with Children and Young People, Health Promotion, Midwifery, and Optometry. We also offer a PhD programme in person-centric research.
The faculty’s commissioned research is growing rapidly. We tailor make courses, studies and research in line with society's needs for increased knowledge. The program offering is developed in collaboration with the business community.
Faculty of Health Sciences has research groups in Drammen, Kongsberg, Porsgrunn and Vestfold. It operates extensive research activities, often in partnership with public institutions and private business. Our vision is that the Faculty of Health and Social Science should be a leading center of excellence for health care education, research and dissemination of person-centered and multidisciplinary health care with a special focus on primary health care.
Research centres at the faculty
- National Centre for Optics, Vision and Eye Care
- Center for care research
- Center for women, family and children's health
- Centre for Mental Health and Substance Abuse
- Centre for social entrepreneurship and social innovation
- Science Centre Health and Technology
- USN Research Group on Older Peoples’ Health