Department of Languages and Literature Studies
The department comprises the languages Norwegian, English and Spanish and all the disciplines their study entails—literature, culture, linguistics and language teaching and learning.
Our focus is developing academic programmes that are both exciting to take and grounded in the most innovative research, and which therefore give our students the best opportunities in future labour markets.
Our Study Programmes
The department offers bachelor's programmes in language and literature. We have one-year courses in English, Norwegian and Spanish, both on campus and online, full time and part time. These can all be included in a bachelor's programme. We also offer one-year courses for foreign students in the Norwegian language and in social studies, as well as a secondary teacher education programme in Norwegian and a master's programme in Norwegian instruction.
The department also offers professional education programmes in kindergarten, primary and middle years teacher education, as well as a postgraduate certificate in education and numerous further education courses.
Finally, our creative writing course focuses on the ingenuity of authorship but also provides insight into literary theory and the practical aspects of the writing profession.
The following research groups are associated with the department:
- Aesthetics: Theory, analysis, practice
- Texts in culture and education
- Educational resources research group
- Social semiotics, systemic functional linguistics (SFL) and multimodality
- Children's transition from kindergarten to primary school
- Aesthetic learning processes
- Multilingualism, learning and development
- Classroom research
- Teaching, instructional design and digital media
- Network for interaction analysis
- Norwegian instruction research network
- Research on language variation and change