- As a professor of pedagogy, my main work revolves around teaching and supervision of students enrolled in the International Teacher Education for Primary Schools (ITEPS) which educates students to become teachers in international schools worldwide. I also teach courses in the Norwegian Teacher Training Degree Program (5-year Masters).
- I also co-lead the research group "Minorities and Education" at USN.
- Reviewer: Among others, Cambridge Journal of Education; Whiteness and Education; Social Compass – International Review of Sociology of Religion.
- Member of the adjudication committee for doctoral examination (University of Oslo), 2nd opponent. Master Emmanuel Wilson Walla at the Department of Education will be defending the thesis "HIV/AIDS, TRADITIONS AND EDUCATION IN SOUTH SUDAN" for the degree of Phd.
- Opponent, PhD defence: School of Governance, Law and Society, University of Talinn, Estonia. Doctorate student Mohammed Abdullai, thesis entitled "Cultural Barriers and Enablers of Integrating Educational Migrants from the Global South: The Case of Graduate Students in Europe".
PhD in Education: King's College, London (University of London). Doctoral thesis: The Creation-Evolution Debate: An Islamic Perspective (2012) supervised by Dr Philip Barnes and Professor Alister McGrath (Andreos Idreos Professor of Science and Religion, University of Oxford).
MPhil in Multicultural/International Education. Oslo University College. Thesis: Tolerance in religious education : a comparative study of three junior secondary schools in Kumasi, Ghana (2009)
Allmennlærerutdanning/four-year Teacher Training Programme with an integrated Bachelor in Education. Oslo Mteropolitan University (2008).
Thomas, P and Alhassan, ARK (2021). Challenging Antisemitism: A Pedagogical Approach in a Norwegian School. In Lange, A., Mayerhofer, K., Porat, D., & Schiffman, L. H. (Eds.). Comprehending and Confronting Antisemitism: A Multi-Faceted Approach. Walter de Gruyter GmbH & Co KG. In press (In print, May, 2021). Level 2 publication (NSD). Part of the research group "Minorities and Education".
Paul Thomas, Abdul-Razak Kuyini Alhassan & Anne Liv Kaarstad Lie (2020) Bunad, minorities and belonging in Norway, National Identities: Critical Inquiry into Nationahood, Politics & Culture (Routledge) DOI: 10.1080/14608944.2020.1851669. Part of the research group "Minorities and Education".
Thomas, P. (2019). Delegitimizing Multicultural Education: Populist Politicians in Norway and the Weaponizing of the Autobiographical Genre. European Politics and Society (Routledge/Taylor & Francis/). Article DOI. 10.1080/23745118.2019.1683984.
Thomas, P., Alhassan, A.R.K. (2019). Religious education, antisemitism and the curriculum in Norway. THEO WEB. Zeitschrift für Religionspädagogik. Academic Journal of Religious Education. The official publication organ of the German Association of Religious Education Scholars. Universität Wien https://www.theo-web.de/
Thomas, P., Seehawer, M., & Fylkesnes, S. (2019). Arenas of empowerment? Case study of a ‘multicultural’ high school in Oslo, Norway. In Habib, S., & Ward, M. R. M. (2019). Youth, place and theories of belonging. BSA/Routledge: Sociological Futures Series. Level 2 (Cristin).
Thomas, P., & Røthing, Å. (2017). Exploring feminism in a multicultural classroom: using Bend it Like Beckham as a tool in a high school class. Intercultural Education, 1-19. Level 2 article in CRistin /NSD.
Thomas, P., & Breidlid, A. (2015). In the shadow of ‘Anglobalization’: national tests in English in Norway and the making of a new English underclass. Journal of Multicultural Discourses, 10(3), 349-368.
Thomas, P., & Selimovic, A. (2015). “Sharia on a Plate?” A critical discourse analysis of halal food in two Norwegian newspapers. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 6(3), 331-353. Winner of the 2016 Emerald Literati Awards
Thomas, P. (2012). Religious education and the feminisation of witchcraft: A study of three secondary schools in Kumasi, Ghana. British Journal of Religious Education, 34(1), 67-86. Level 2 article in CRistin /NSD.
Popular science production: lectures, media etc.
(2018). Opinion piece "Bashe Musse svikter unge somaliere" (Bashe Musse lets down Somali youth) is published in Nettavisen and critiques a representative of the Somali community who I argue has been sending conflicting signals in the media about the integration of Somali youth.
(2018). NrK Radio 22.04.2018. Ytring. Participant in the debate about Somali children who are sent to Quran schools in Somalia.
(2017). Interview with Nettavisen journalist, Thomas Paust. «Barn sendes på ‘koranskoler’ i Somalia : For dårlig disiplin i norske skoler». (Children sent to Quran schools in Somalia: poor discipline in Norwegian schools).
(2017). Speaker: IPED seminar. University College of Southeast Norway. “Norwegian-Somali parents who send their children to schools in Somalia”. 15.12.17. Kongsberg, Norway.
(2016). One of two keynote speakers at a seminar arranged by The Norwegian Association of Religious Education Teachers (23 April 2016). Theme: Challenges in the classroom.
(2014). Parents-Teachers pilot project at Hellerud high school, east Oslo (December 3, 2014). Responsible for one of two classrooms which comprised part of the ‘Parents-Teachers project’. The objective was to liaise closely with parents (for under 16 year old students) for a year and evaluate results on several indices.