- Project coordiation (both national and international)
- PhD students supervision
- MSc students supervision
- Creating university and industry partnership
- Environemental Biotechnology
- Biological wastewater treatment
- Biogas technology
- Resource recovery and use
2011- 2014 Ph.D. Faculty of Science and Technology, Aarhus University, Denmark
2004 – 2006 Msc. Wageningen University, Netherlands
1998 – 2000 Bsc. Hawasa University, Ethiopia
Aug. 2014–present University of South-Eastern Norway
Jan. 2011 – Mar. 2014: Aarhus University, Denmark,
I.Capacity Building in Integrated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for One Health (WASH4ONEHEALTH) WASH4ONEHEALTH - Universitetet i Sørøst-Norge (usn.no)
Project funder: Norwegian Directorate for Higher Education and Skills
WASH4ONEHEALTH is a student, staff and research mobility project where the goal is to improve quality of education between higher institutions of Norway and Ethiopia. The partner universities in Ethiopia are Jimma University (JU), Kotebe University of Education (KUE) and Bahir-Dar University (BDU). They are selected based on the universities' growing demand to improve the quality of education programs associated with water, sanitation and environmental health.
II. Biofilms characterization for wastewater treatment (B4WWT)
Project funder: Regionale forskningsfond (RFF)
1. Janka Eshetu; Pathak S., Alireza R., Sandeep G., Shuai W. Simultaneous Heterotrophic Nitrification and Aerobic Denitrification of Water after Sludge Dewatering in Two Sequential Moving Bed Biofilm Reactors (MBBR). Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2022, 19, 1841
2. Pathak S., Wang S., Janka E. Achieving Partial Nitritation Anammox Start-Up Environment. Water 2022, 14, 229
3. Ikumi Umetani; Eshetu Janka; Michal Sposob; Chris J Hulatt; Synne Kleiven and Rune Bakke. Bicarbonate for microalgae cultivation: a case study in a chlorophyte Tetradesmus wisconsinensis isolated from a Norwegian lake. Journal of Applied Phycology 2021 https: 77dio.org/10.10007/s10811-021-02420-4.
4. Vasan Sivalingam; Carlos Dinamarca; Janka E; Sergey Kukankov; Shuai Wang; Rune Bakke. Effect of Intermittent Aeration in a Hybrid Vertical Anaerobic Biofilm Reactor (HyVAB) for Reject Water Treatment. Water 2020. Volume 12 (4) 1151. 2.
5. Janka E; Ikumi Umetani; Michal Sposob and Rune Bakke. Photosynthesis response of microalgae (Tetradesmus wisconsinensis) to different inorganic carbon sources probed with chlorophyll fluorescence analysis. Photosynthetica 2020, 58(SI) : 236-244
6. Janka E; Diego Carvajal; Shuai Wang; Rune Bakke; Carlos Dinamarca. Treatment of Metformin-Containing Wastewater by a Hybrid Vertical Anaerobic Biofilm-Reactor (HyVB). Int J Environ Res Public Health 2019. Volume 16 (21) 4125. 3.
7. Eshetu Moges Melesse; Todt Daniel; Janka E; Heistad Arve; Rune Bakke.
Sludge blanket anaerobic baffled reactor for source-separated blackwater treatment. Water Science and Technology 2018 ; Volum 78.(6) pp. 1249-1259
8. Hashemi S., Niazi S., Dinamarca C., Janka E., Heggholmen A., Wang S., Bakke R. 2018. Biological reject water treatment for enhanced carbon recovery. 2ND international conference Bioresource technology for bioenergy bioproducts and environmental sustainability 16-19 September Stiges, Spain.
9. Wang, Shuai; Ghimire, Nirmal; Gang, Xin; Janka E; Bakke Rune. Efficient high strength petrochemical wastewater treatment in a hybrid vertical anaerobic biofilm (HyVAB) reactor: a pilot study. Water practice and technology 2017; Volum 12.(3) pp. 501- 513 6.
10. Oda Kjørlaug, Janka E, Rune Bakke and Pål J. Nilsen (2017). Methane production from the Cambi SolidStream centrate in an Upflow Anaerobic Sludge Blanket reactor. IWA Specialist conference on sludge management: SludgeTech.
11. Wathsala Jinadasa Janka E, Rune Bakke. Full Scale Process Design for Energy Recovery from Swine Manure Linnaeus ECO-TECH ´10 Kalmar, Sweden, November 22-24, 2010
12. Janka E, Körner O, Rosenqvist E, Ottosen CO (2017). PSII operating efficiency simulation from chloophyll fluorescence in response to light and temperature in chrysanthemum (Dendranthema grandiflora). Photosynthetica 55 (DOI: 10.1007/s11099-017-0701-8).
13. Janka E, Körner O, Rosenqvist E, Ottosen CO (2016). A coupled model of leaf photosynthesis, stomatal conductance, and leaf energy balance for chrysanthemum (Dendranthema grandiflora). Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 123: 264–274
14. Janka E, Körner O, Rosenqvist E, Ottosen CO (2015). Using the quantum yields of photosystem II and the rate of net photosynthesis to monitor high irradiance and temperature stress in chrysanthemum (Dendranthema grandiflora). Plant physiology and Biochemistry 90: 14–22.
15. Janka E, Körner O, Rosenqvist E, Ottosen CO (2013). High temperature stress monitoring and detection using chlorophyll a fluorescence and infrared thermography in chrysanthemum (Dendranthema grandiflora). Plant physiology and Biochemistry 67: 87–94.
16. Janka E, Körner O, Rosenqvist E, Ottosen CO (2012). Log-logistic model analysis of optimal and supra-optimal temperature effect on photosystem II using chlorophyll a fluorescence in chrysanthemum (Dendranthema grandiflora). Acta Horticulturae 957: 297–302.