The DiCE research group aims at developing and promoting new knowledge about diversity and democratic citizenship in education. These themes are at the core of political, economic and societal global challenges today, concerning the basic values in education. The research group DiCE seeks to promote and develop critical knowledge about diversity, citizenship, democracy, migration, multiculturalism, and inclusion in education.
Our projects span from international R&D projects and participation in global networks to development projects in our local neighborhood school. We collaborate across disciplines and different disciplines and all levels of education, from early childhood education through adult education and lifelong learning.
Ongoing projects (DiCE participates)
- OpenEYE (Open Education for Young Europeans through History, Art and Cultural Learning), w/partners in Greece, Italy and Slovakia, funded by ERASMUS+, 2,2 mill NOK (2019-)
- Developing democracy in Ukraine, Palestine and Norway (UPN Democracy) Eurasia funding, 3 mill NOK (2018-2021)
- Education in multicultural schools - several local projects: Galterud school, Drammen, Åssiden high school, adult education in Drammen municipality (2019).
- Early childhood education in Palestine (coordination) (NORPART funding 5 mill NOK) (2019-2024)
- ICCS Norway (International Civic and Citizenship Education Study)
Competence for Diversity (Kompetanse for Mangfold) - Governmental
Democracy education in Ukraine and Norway
Global doing of democracy project - global democracy survey - Norwegian part
Burner, T., & Biseth, H. (2016). A critical analysis of an innovative approach: A case of diversity in Norwegian education. SAGE Open. Special issue on student diversity, 1-11.
Burner, T. & Carlsen, C. (2019).
Teacher qualifications, perceptions and practices concerning multilingualism at a school for newly arrived students in Norway.
International Journal of Multilingualism. Published online June 23, 2019.
Burner, T., Nodeland, T. S. & Aamaas, Å. (2018). Critical perspectives on perceptions and practices of diversity in education. Nordic Journal of Comparative and International Education, 2(1), 3-15. https://doi.org/10.7577/njcie.2188
Biseth, H., Madsen, J. and Christensen, I. R. (2018). Student Teachers Promoting Democracy Using Social Media in Teaching. Nordic Journal of Comparative and International Education, 2(4), 37-52. DOI: http://doi.org/10.7577/njcie.2796
Osler, A. & Lindquist, H. (2018). Rase og etnisitet, to begreper vi må snakke mer om. Norsk Pedagogisk Tidsskrift, 102(1), 26-37. DOI: 10.18261/issn.1504-2987-2018-01-04.
Sønsthagen, A. G. (2018). "Jeg savner barnet mitt": Møter mellom somaliske mødre og barnehagen. Nordic Journal of Comparative and International Education, 2(1), 55-71. https://doi.org/10.7577/njcie.2289
Valen-Sendstad, Å. and Christensen, I.R (release 2019) Menneskerettigheter og verdighet i skolen. Oslo: Cappelen Damm. A common anthology of the former MMM (now DiCE) research group.